Monday, February 28, 2011

ECO WHIMSY

Wow, it has been a long time since I last wrote, and it's time for something "lighter". Most of the articles I read daily about our beautiful planet are dealing with how things are being desecrated, but every once in awhile I come across something that people have dreamed up to try and help our Earth that brings a big smile to my face, and hopefully to yours too. Here are a few of those moments of whimsy, all related to creating energy from unusual sources.

Dog poo lights.
Yes, it's true. Your dog poops, and you get light. How fun is that?!! There are several dog parks now that have set up incinerators right there at the park that people can scoop up their dog's gifts in a bag, drop it in, and voila: the energy creates power for the lights in the park at night. Think of the possibilities if there was one of those in your bathroom at home...

I-pad tapping.
Some clever person has invented a gadget that attaches to an I-pad to capture the energy from all the tapping on the screen and storing it in a battery to charge not only the I-pad itself but other electronics as well. Suddenly my friend who is trying to get her son to spend less time on the I-pad would in fact tell him to keep on it so she can power her house. Get back on that computer and TAP, I need to cook dinner!

Nightclub boogie.
More brilliance with using energy that we supply ourselves. There are nightclubs with specially rigged floors to harness the motion from all that dancing and turn it into electrical power. Dance marathons take on a whole new meaning. Let's get our groove on to create energy!


Pee Battery.
I couldn't make this up people. Urine is used to create a chemical reaction that powers a battery. Who invents these things? Brings me back to the dog poo lighted park. Maybe we need to put little cups on the sides of the trees and fire hydrants...

TreadMILL.
Do you have any idea how many people are walking every day and not GOING anywhere because they are on a treadmill? So all that energy is not actually propelling your body though space, it is just "wasted". Until now. A gadget has been invented to create power off the constant churning of the machine, and suddenly the name tread "mill" is appropriate. Like an old fashioned water wheel being pushed by people wanting to get fit. Be skinny for a good cause!

I hope you have enjoyed these as I did, and I would love to hear what other clever funny things you have heard about. We need some HUMOR in this quest to help the Earth!
Thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment