Thursday, October 22, 2009

LOVE SONG

Three love moments with Nature, and a song...

I was diving out in Waimea bay on Oahu one day and heard this LOUD haunting sound. Popped up to the surface to look around for what might be causing it. Didn't see anything. Dove again, there it is again. Popped up a second time. Still no-one nearby. Dove a third time and suddenly the gates of perception opened: WHALE SONG!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh My Word. How can I describe the thrill that ran through my blood to every corner of my body? I couldn't hold my breath long enough to stay down and listen for the hours I wanted to. (I was free diving without a tank) Scientists don't know why they sing. WHO CARES??? Because they CAN! And it will transform anyone who gets to feel it in their bloodstream. That's why they do it. They are healing the underwater world with sound.

One rainy day with no-one on the beach I was getting into the water, and there was a sweet honu (Hawaiian sea turtle) in just knee deep water looking at me. I thanked it for saying hello, but it just sat there looking at me, and then suddenly turned in the water to "show" me a huge hook in it's left shoulder with a line trailing about 2 feet long. AYAH! "Do you want me to try and get it out?" It just sat there. ( I like to think animals can understand me...) "I've never done this before. It's going to hurt." So I took hold of the hook to see how deeply embedded it was and it wouldn't budge. PAIN. It looked at me as if to say "you really don't know what you are doing, do you", and swam off. Right in that moment a jet ski came by. There are NO jet skis in this area ever! On the side is written: Ocean Rescue. Are you kidding me? So I flag him down and tell him about the turtle with the hook and he says normally he travels with pliers to cut them out but didn't have them with him, and drives off. What? Not ready to give up I get out of the water and call Turtle Rescue. Yes that really is their name. You know what they told me? "We don't do IN WATER rescue".!!!! WHAT??? These are "in water" creatures! Good grief. The hook, she says, will work it's way out, but the line is the danger because it can tangle on coral and they drown because they are air breathers. And she warns me, you mustn't try to help it because they can bite your finger off. Ayah. This turtle wants help. So I go home and get my wire cutters, all the time sending it thoughts that I am coming back and I will be prepared. Heaven smiled and said yes. I went back and it came to me in the exact same spot! Just looking at me. I showed it the pliers and said "SEE! This time I'm ready!!!". It turned and put it's shoulder right in front of me just like before and, clip. The line is cut off at the base. YES! I was so over the moon excited! "I know the hook feels horrible, but it will eventually be expelled, and that I couldn't do without ripping your shoulder." It looked at me one last time, and swam gently away. I still have the fishing line.

The other night I was doing yoga on the beach at night under the stars (ahhhhhhhhhhhh), and as my gaze fell upon the water there were....fireflies? In the water? I rushed to the waters edge, and no, I am not imagining this. There it is again. And again. Gorgeous little luminescent flashes under water! There is some small creature that flashes light like a firefly. No idea what they are. So I sat down in the water's edge and suddenly had bursts of light on my thighs, my stomach, my arms. Squeals of delight. From me that is. Nature always has some new thrill. May she continue to bless us.

I believe the Earth can heal
Hear Her cry both far and near
I believe that we must feel
In our hearts, the call so clear

Heal the Earth
Bring back the Sacred
Feel the Earth
In all you do
Heal the Earth
What God created
A sense of Holy
We must renew

I believe we need a way
To bring back love for all God made
I believe it's time to say
Let's change this price that Nature's paid

In our lives we've moved away
From feeling pain as Nature fades
In our lives, with each new day
Choose to restore and not degrade

Heal the Earth
Bring back the Sacred
Feel the Earth
In all you do
Heal the Earth
What God created
A sense of Holy
We must renew.

Thanks for listening.

3 comments:

  1. Have you seen them again? Did you find out what they were? Sounds magical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the turtle story. Here I am writing without waiting to find out if you get new comments on old blog entries. I must be using you as my blog.

    I may get so sad about Hawaii and the Earth I won't be able to keep reading your blog. then again, the stories of beauty and wonder make it worth the pain. . .

    Couldnt' figure out how to select a profile so I'll just tell you I'm Carol, Rhoda's cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! HI Carol! I LOVE reading comments, and I check the old ones because new people find them! Thanks for reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete